Re: [OM] OT (OM) Thermaltake ST0005U Ext HDD SATA docking Station

Subject: Re: [OM] OT (OM) Thermaltake ST0005U Ext HDD SATA docking Station
From: Jez Cunningham <jez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 17:31:03 +0100
For what it's worth USB is specified to be able to deliver 5V at
500mA. That's enough for a typical external 2.5" harddrive but
sometimes a Y cable is supplied so you can take 2x500mA.  Those
wallwarts with a USB socket (as used for charging iThings) can often
supply over 2A (but they sometimes employ tricks to cut back the
maximum current if they aren't sure what's been plugged into them).
Sorry that doesn't answer all your questions...
Jez

By the way, I installed a USB3 card in my desktop PC (2-port), a
4-port USB3 hub, and a
Kingston USB3 SD card reader.  I never tested the performance but it
works fast enough for copying pictures from my memory cards.