Re: [OM] IMG: Doña Cleta

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Doña Cleta
From: Tina Manley <images@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 17:47:06 -0400
There is hope.  Doña Cleta could not interest any of the young people in
learning Chorti but government agencies in support of the indigenous are
working on it:

"Chorti in Honduras have moved away from tradition due to mainstream
influences. Unlike the Maya in Guatemala, the Maya Chortis no longer wear
traditional clothing and have taken on other aspects of mainstream culture.
Over the past decade, Maya Chorti leaders have been advocating for a
resurgence of traditional indigenous values. Since 2002 CONIMCHH (Consejo
Nacional Indígena Maya Chortí de Honduras) has also been working to revive
the language by offering Chorti language classes in several villages."

Tina

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 5:37 PM, Donald <d1956m198d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 22/05/2013 22:23, Tina Manley wrote:
> > PESO:
> >
> > I've posted photos of Doña Cleta, the last native speaker of Chorti Maya:
> >

> It's awful when that happens. All the nuances of culture, world-view and
> mythology that vanish with a language makes unravelling our prehistory
> that much more difficult.
>
> And diversity is good, anyway.
>
> Rage, rage.
>
> D.