Re: [OM] (OM) OT PC backup programs

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) OT PC backup programs
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 23:00:15 -0500
On 5/21/13 22:49 : , Moose wrote:
> On 5/21/2013 5:38 PM, Brian Swale wrote:
>> A call for advice please.
>>
>> I have noticed slightly increasing noise from my PC hard-drive lately, and
>> have decided to get a stand-alone hard-drive for back-up. Also sometimes
>> the PC baulks at starting as it should.
>>
>> Please advise what back-up / restore programs are recommended,
>> preferably which will do periodic additions to backup.
>   From what you describe, what you need first is to clone your boot drive
> onto a new HD. If the boot drive is indeed
> failing, prompt action may avoid a lot of trouble.
>
> If, by chance, you boot drive is a Western Digital - and you buy another WD
> to replace it, you may download a special,
> free copy of Acronis True Image that only works WD to WD.

The one issue you may run into with cloning a consumer edition of XP is
that Microsoft built "change detection" into XP that, if it determines
you've changed too many pieces of hardware, they assume you're a thief
and therefore will disable Windows until you run a repair install from
THE ORIGINAL INSTALL DISKS ONLY.

Nobody is quite sure what the threshold is.  You may skate with just
chaning hard drives, or you may trigger the disable routine.  But it's
worth a shot.

--

Paul Braun
Certified Music Junkie

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life" - Harlan Howard