Re: [OM] (OM) New autumn image

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) New autumn image
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 16:05:02 +1200
Chris Trask wrote
> > They have quite different leaf arrangements as well.
> > Do a "wikipedia" on Aesculus hippocastanum   (horse)
> > and on Castanea sativa  (sweet)
> >

>      I didn't know about this variety.  When I lived in France just about
>      every
> boulevard was lined with horse chestnut trees, with street vendors
> roasting them and selling them by the bagful.  Wonderful snack that you
> simply will not find here.
>

> Chris

Now that's interesting. Eating horse chestnuts. I'd always been told, and it
never crossed my mind to cross-check (still have to do) that horse chestnuts
were poisonous.

Check. It's worth reading this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aesculus_hippocastanum

Part quote
The nuts, especially those that are young and fresh, are slightly poisonous,
containing alkaloid saponins and glucosides. Although not dangerous to
touch, they cause sickness when eaten. Consumed by horses, they can
cause tremors and lack of coordination.[8] Some mammals, notably deer,
are able to break down the toxins and eat them safely.
End quote.

It's possible that after cooking,  especially of nuts that are at least a week
or
two old,  the toxic effect might be only slight.

Brian Swale