[OM] The engineer in me...

Subject: [OM] The engineer in me...
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 10:51:05 -0500
Is really, really good at reverse-engineering things. It is a
skill/gift/talent that I can thank my Dad for. He taught me to not
just accept that something works, but figure out how it works.

Anyhoo...

So, last night I took one of the prints and scanned it and compared it
to the negative scan from the Nikon. The goal is to better both
processes by determining how to exploit the strengths and minimize the
weaknesses of both technologies.

Turns out that the neg scan is actually a little sharper (not
surprising, since I've got the scanning process down really well, and
the paper wasn't matte. But the tonal smoothness in the shadows and
highlights is MUCH better in the print. Midtones are comparable with
actually a nod towards the neg scan. But the two are very much not
matching in ways that are significant.

So, the goal is to try and get the neg scan to match the print scan as
much as possible. Once I get that figured out, I'll have a better
handle on what the adjustment curves need to be. This will give me
options.

In the meantime, I'm really enjoying the luminosity of the AG prints.
There is just something so right about them.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx