[OM] IMG: Cedar Rust

Subject: [OM] IMG: Cedar Rust
From: Tina Manley <images@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 17:42:16 -0400
PESO:

It started to rain yesteday afternoon, after we had finished planting 75
tomato plants!  The rain brings out the cedar rust on all of the cedar
trees around here:

http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/149915885

http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/149915887

The cedar rust sends out spores that infect the apple trees with a fungus.
 The only cure is to cut down all of the cedar trees within a 4 mile
radius.  We plan to cut the ones on our farm but will have to spray the
apple trees to prevent the fungus from other cedar trees from infecting
them :-(  There are cedar resistent apple trees, but they aren't totally
successful in the face of this much rust!!

It's the weirdest looking stuff I've ever seen and I had never seen it
before we moved here.

C&C and suggestions greatly appreciated!

Tina

--
Tina Manley, ASMP
www.tinamanley.com