Re: [OM] IMG: Mockingbird via Layers

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Mockingbird via Layers
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 10:08:07 -0400
I've just verified with a simple experiment that what I've always
thought about PhotoShop painting is that, although it displays a circle
showing the brush diameter, what you see as maximum diameter is only
true for a brush that is 100% hard.  If there's any softness at all in
the definition of the brush there will be paint applied beyond the brush
diameter but in decreasing density to perhaps a limit of about 25%
larger than the specified diameter for a very soft brush.

I thought the clone tool behaved the same way (I'm sure it used to) but
just proved that, even for a soft brush, the clone tool now stays within
the defined diameter.  But very strangely, when I switched from
paintbrush to clone tool, although the specified diameter (182 pixels)
didn't change the clone tool brush diameter grew larger than the paint
brush such that it was actually extending more than the stated pixel
count.  But once I readjusted the size to what I wanted visually it
stayed within that limit whether the brush was hard or soft.  I have no
idea why the two are allowed to function differently or why you can't
see the actual extent of any brush.

But to do all this and verify what was happening I had to create a white
test image with a black rectangle in it along with a grid and size the
brushes to the grid so I could see precisely what was happening.

I think Moose's comment about me having to be careful with what I was
painting was referring to the paintbrush's unwanted excursions outside
the visible diameter of the brush unless it's 100% hard.  Further I
think his method is make a selection of the background (what you want
blurred) and then paint in the blur without worrying where the brush
goes since only the selected area will be affected.  Probably much
better but I try to avoid selections if I can help it since I'm just
plain not very good at doing that.

Chuck Norcutt