Re: [OM] IMG: Mockingbird on Insect Patrol

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Mockingbird on Insect Patrol
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 11:03:20 -0400
What I did to this image is about as simple as masking can get.

1) open duplicate layer
2) from "filter" apply gaussian blur to the new layer until the
    background looks pleasing to you. (entire image will be blurred)
3) click the mask icon at the bottom of the layers panel
    (rectangle with circle inside).  A mask will be added (and selected)
4) select black paint at far left tools area. The little arrow switches
    between black and white.  Click it if the black square is not at
    upper left (selected)
5) Select the paint bucket tool (dripping bucket) and with mouse button
    down drag over to the image and release it.  This applies black paint
    to the entire mask making it transparent and revealing the original
    unblurred image underneath.
6) Click the paint color again so white is selected rather than black.
7) Select the paint brush tool at far left.  Use the bracket [ ] keys
    to increase or decrease the diameter of the brush.  A brush about the
    diameter of the bird's head might be about right.
8) Carefully paint over the background of the image with the white paint
    which will reveal the portions of the blurred image that you paint.
    If you use a low opacity and flow rate (controls at top) you can
    approach the final result slowly and also vary the rate between top
    and bottom.  I applied more at the top of the image than the bottom.
9) When done to your satisfaction use the layers menu pulldown (upper
    right of layers menu) and select "flatten image" to merge the layers
    into a single image.
10) Save it.  You're done.

ps:  A modest opacity and flow rate (like 25%) means you can build up
      the changes slowly.  And you don't need to be particularly careful
      about minor excursions into the areas you don't want blurred.  If
      you do make a mistake it can be undone with the "undo" in edit or
      you can change the mask painting color to the opposite and undo or
      redo to your hearts content.

Chuck Norcutt