Re: [OM] The very first picture from the September, 2012 Zuikofest

Subject: Re: [OM] The very first picture from the September, 2012 Zuikofest
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 16:38:55 -0700
On 4/22/2013 3:09 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
>> Looks like you're heading towards Indiana (in style at least).  Looks like
>> the darkroom is working well.
> Or not... The digital version just isn't hitting it for me. I'm having
> some serious challenges with the gamma of these scans. I might just
> have to do the scanned working-print routine.

Yup, sumpin' is whack in the middle to upper mid tones of all but the first you
posted (which hardly has any). Not only
the wood in the one I posted alternative versions of, but there's a bit of
wrongness in the roadbed of the first one (no
matter how beautifully maintained it may be.) :-)

Glad you see it. Wish you luck in finding an easy fix.

Too strong or wrong filters?? I know very little about filters for B&W, but
they do flatten contrast in their own
color?? Use orange or red for sky/clouds, and inadvertently mess up red
contrast in other parts of the subject?

I do know I've almost never liked what green filters do to grasses. "Wow, look
at the tones in those leaves!" Yeah, but
do those shrubs and grass look like anything you've ever seen?

Just spit-balling from ignorance here, hoping some bit may help.

Unfiltered Moose