Re: [OM] WTF - Computer disaster

Subject: Re: [OM] WTF - Computer disaster
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 21:19:49 -0400
We tend to treat our computers as though they are infallible.  They are
not... especially those that no longer have ECC (Error Check &
Correction) memory modules (most of them these days including Macs)
What you encountered was probably a transient memory error.  It could be
caused by the hardware or, more likely, a software error.  Either way
something caused the data area containing the directory information to
be corrupted.  Pulling the flash drive out and reinserting it caused the
old and corrupted data area to be flushed.  Reinserting the drive caused
it to be reread from the drive and the directory information to be
refreshed.

It's good you pulled it out.  If you continued to try doing write
operations with garbage in memory saying where things were to be written
no telling what you might have gotten.  I would suggest you double check
the cards against each other to assure the copied data matches the source.

Chuck Norcutt