Re: [OM] IMGs: Butterflies from Thursday

Subject: Re: [OM] IMGs: Butterflies from Thursday
From: Don Holbrook <donholbrook@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 15:11:38 +0000 (UTC)
The Checkerspot is nice.

----- Original Message -----
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Olympus Discussion Group <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 14:38:08 -0000 (UTC)
Subject: [OM] IMGs: Butterflies from Thursday

         This past Thursday I took a hike through a couple of washes and
canyons at the far southeastern end of the Superstition Mountains.  I came away
with lots of scenery, wild flower, and butterfly photos, some of which were
surprising.  Here I'll post the photos of the six varieties of butterflies that
I encountered.

         The first one is an Empress Leilia butterfly (Asterocampa leilia):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8644634137/in/photostream

In the early morning you could get fairly close to these as they dried the
morning dew from their wings.  Later in the day while I was photographing
another of these an While photographing the Empress Leilia butterfly, an Acmon
Blue butterfly (Plebejus acmon) muscled it's way into the scene:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8644634061/in/photostream

They tend to gather in large numbers around muddy spots, as do the Mexican
Yellow butterflies (Eurema mexicana):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8644634181/in/photostream

         A few California Patch butterflies (Chlosyne californica) were
encountered, but none of them would remain still very long:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8644634103/in/photostream

         Late in the day an Edith's Cherckerspot butterfly (Euphydryas editha)
put on a nice show, feasting away at a New Mexico Thistle and occasionally
resting on the branches of a nearby Mesquite:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8644634119/in/photostream

         But the highlight of the day in terms of butterflies was the encounter
with two Red Admiral butterflies (Vanessa atalanta):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8644634223/in/photostream

The first one I saw early in the day flew off before I could get into position,
and this second one that I came across around noon took almost five minutes to
photograph.  It kept it's wings folded most of the time, opening them up for
just brief moments.  This was a bit excruciating as I was leaning over the
whole time and did not take the time to take off my pack.  I took over a dozen
photos just to get this one.

Chris