Re: [OM] The end of the spinning hard drive draws nigh...

Subject: Re: [OM] The end of the spinning hard drive draws nigh...
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 20:37:01 -0500
On 4/13/13 18:30 : , Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Hmmm.  I would have hoped that the fans would run based on temperature.
>
> Chuck Norcutt
>

> On 4/13/2013 6:57 PM, Paul Braun wrote:
>> Depends on the iMac.  If you do it yourself, YouTube and Google, plus some
>> big suction cups are your friends.
>>
>> Tricky part is that on the previous-gen, which mine is, I think there's a
>> sensor on the Apple-branded drives which prevents the fans

The fans do run on temp.  However, the factory drives use Apple firmware
and a temp sensor on the drive instead of using SMART. Also, there is no
industry standard for drive temp sensors, so they all have different
connectors.

Other World Computing discovered the snag when they were working on
upgrade kits for the Mid-2011 iMacs.  Apple sends temp info in a
non-standard format.  They came up with a solution, but they're keeping
it to themselves.  They will, however, upgrade your iMac to dual
internal SSD's for you, and guarantee that they pass the Apple Hardware
Test and that they work with the fan control.

There is a software utility you can buy, but there is a lot of concern
about trusting it to do the right thing, all of the time.

--

Paul Braun
Certified Music Junkie

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life" - Harlan Howard