Re: [OM] Photohosting sites

Subject: Re: [OM] Photohosting sites
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2013 12:18:09 -0700
On 4/6/2013 9:25 AM, NSURIT@xxxxxxx wrote:
> In a message dated 4/6/2013 10:56:06 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
> photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
> What do  you mean by "safe"?
>
> Well, perhaps one from which it might be more difficult for someone to
> steal an image . . . that is assuming such a site exists.   BB

I don't believe such a thing exists. If so, I've not encountered it.

In order to display the image, it must be downloaded, which puts a copy in a
temp folder, and displayed, which puts the
image in the display buffer in video memory. That's how video works, the
display circuitry scans the designated memory
range, about 60 x per sec., and turns each pixel to the appropriate colors.
Once in those places, it is easy to capture.
The Print Screen Key and LOTS of apps will do so.

The only way I have imagined to really prevent capture is to require the viewer
to download a viewing app which takes
control of some parts of the computer, possibly in part at the machine level. I
can't imagine that being acceptable to
casual viewers. Perhaps on a subscription site, where the content is considered
particularly valuable to see?

There's undoubtedly specialty hardware that protects access to video memory for
high security applications, but that's
outside the scope of your situation.

Perhaps better to acknowledge that your images are just drops in a massive sea
of images on the web, with a monetary
value there approaching zero. Yes, someone may capture one/some of them. But
what will they do with them that deprive
you of anything beyond your sense of purity of essence?

If, by extremely unlikely chance, one is used for a commercial purpose, and you
become aware of it, you have the
protection of copyright law - go get 'em.

As to becoming aware of such use, there is digital watermarking, and such, and
I suppose one may send a 'bot' to
crawling the web, looking for your 'signature'. (Do search engines do that?) If
it goes straight to print, as with the
billboard image I read about a while ago, you have to rely on synchronicity to
alert you.

Personally, I think getting people to view one's images is more of a problem
than having them stolen.

Visually Vulnerable Moose