[OM] Sharpening Monkeywrench [was Big Sharp and Little Sharp I [was New

Subject: [OM] Sharpening Monkeywrench [was Big Sharp and Little Sharp I [was New panorama up]]
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 18:59:29 -0400 (EDT)
 Our sharp Moose writes:

>>2. Potentially more significant is that deconvolution sharpening has
become
>>available since this app was created. Note
>>the dates of the laudatory quotes on the web page, all quite a few
years old.
>>Simple comparisons have led me to switch
>>from USM based sharpening tools to deconvolution based tools for all
my
>>'capture' sharpening and virtually all post
>>downsampling re-sharpening.

I was waiting for a comment like this.  The PKS manual says capture
sharpening is more gentle and usually tweaked to largely affect
midtones.  The PKS can be used in lieu of  capture sharpening in ACR by
changing the default 25% to zero.  So Moose turns sharpening in ACR
off too to use FM  deconvolution in PS later?   The latter applied in
layers the Photokit sharpener would categorize as "creative sharpening"
  with the final variety being "output sharpening."  I suppose the
deconvolution of the raw file as in DXO to obviate lens defects is
rather a capture sharpening too.  I have never used PKS but it appears
there are many discrete
algorithms that are modulated with layer masks and changing opacity
modulates the effects. Thre are special routines to "capture sharpen"
various categories of 35mm film scans that look interesting.
Deconvolution with FM seems easily superior to USM for one to several
pixel radius effects.  Seems  some low ISO very detailed images seem
improved by a later USM 0.2 pixel radius standard sharpening.  USM in
PS with the the "more accurate" box checked does employ deconvolution
too I have read.
It is not clear to me at all what is the  optimal sharpening  workflow
for various types of images intended for web or print.  If I have an
image look OK fulll size on my monitor I can set the overall gallery
sharpening in Smugmug that does the final "output sharpening" at
smaller sizes.  It isn't usually perfect for some images but is close
enough most of the time.  Not sure what happens on zone-10.

Mebbe not as sharp as I thought, Mike