Re: [OM] New photo up

Subject: Re: [OM] New photo up
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 12:04:46 -0500
On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 11:18 AM, Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Thing is, we could buy TWO SC48's and THREE M7CL's for the price of ONE
> > PM5D....
>
> What about that new CL? Yowza!
>
> I've seen one in a showroom, but haven't had a chance to actually play
with it.

> > some ways, much cleaner than the M7CL..
>
> Do you have the iPAD app for remote setup? I would agree about the
> preamps. Yamaha keeps getting them better, but they just don't have
> the "tone" of some of the other boards. I was also going to ask if
> you've got the WAVES plugin module for the M7CL? It's a beast to map
> stuff in and out of, but man-o-man.
>
> We do have the iPad apps for both the M7CL and the LS9.  I set up wifi in
both of our clubs for the LS9's and also in Stardust for the M7CL at
monitors.  Don't use the iPad for the FOH board there.  I love it at my
club - makes it simple to get things close standing at the board which is,
in typical club fashion, offstage left.  Then I can just grab the iPad and
walk out to the back of the club and tweak things out where the audience
is.  Huge deal for me.

Only have the built-in stuff for the M7's.

> That is one of the best features of the AVID. I developed this feature
> for a broadcast system and demonstrated it live on-air to a major
> national network in their live satellite feed to 200+ stations. I
> thought I was going to get decked by the engineers. One of the
> engineers, though, who was one of these "impossible to get along with"
> types and would rip every vendor apart in some form or another knew
> what I was doing and kicked back and smiled. He was 20 steps ahead of
> everybody else and suffered fools terribly. We became friends after
> that. I don't think anybody else had the giblets to risk dead-air on
> 200+ radio stations to demonstrate a new feature. Looking back at it
> now, I can't say it was one of my brightest ideas. But it was good for
> another couple million in sales. But we were about to lose the account
> to the competition and we needed a "Hail Mary". I did just that. The
> sales guy almost puked up his socks when I pulled the plug.
>
> Hee hee.... always fun to mess with the sales guys.  Especially the ones
who promise impossible things to a client and then say, "You need to build
this now."

> I still like a big flat board with complete channel strips. It's far
> easier to do tweaking of multiple channels (and finding the odd one
> not doing what you are expecting) than it is with the digital boards.
> Especially when you are doing both FOH and monitor mixing on the same
> board and you've got 8 monitor feeds. I still think Allen & Heath made
> the best FOH/Monitor boards ever. Their new digital mixers carry on
> that tradition.

The only A&H board I ever used was a small MixWizard 16:4:4.  Nice build
quality.

> I can't get excited about anything with the Behringer label, but
> that's my continued bias against them for their past technology theft
> and contrived specifications. I've used the LS9 a couple of times and
> do like it. There's a number of them used in churches around here.
> Yamaha boards have a good install base in the AME and similar
> churches. I've sold and installed many Mackie boards through the
> years, but haven't specified one since probably 2005 when I went
> exclusively with Yamaha and Soundcraft.
>
> I think you'd be surprised by the X32.  It was co-designed by Behringer's
guys and Midas's.  I have been reading a lot on the forums, and have read
extremely little that was unflattering, even coming from guys who play with
the big toys.  I think Uli may have found something that will help
eliminate some of the bad blood from the past.  The engineers seem very
responsive to user feedback, and the system is developing very nicely.  If
you go with all of the digital interfaces, you can have remote monitor
mixing  at several locations - for example, the keyboards and drums can
each have their own monitor mixer and can screw their own damn wedges up.
I'm supposed to be able to get my hands on one to actually run through
menus and play around a bit since one of the local churches just bought one
and a friend of mine has been working on arranging some hands-on time for
me.

> SSL boards are probably the best ones for doing landscape photographs
> of.

I've been friends with the wife for several years, and met the husband this
past summer.  I know they'd be very amenable to photography if I visit on a
day when a session isn't happening.

> My favorite SSL board was down in Nashville and was the first
> major board (and biggest board ever) to be converted to both analog
> and digital. One press of a button on a channel and all the knobs
> became remote controls of the DSP. You could map any channel in and
> out of digital with a press of a button. It was used for mixdown and
> premastering. For the better part of 10 years, almost all of the
> country hits coming out of Nashville were mixed on this board to one
> extent or another.
>
> Cool.  Have you seen the Sound City movie that Dave Grohl produced about
the Neve that lived there?  When SC closed, he bought the Neve and moved it
to his studio, but did a documentary that's really a love story about that
old Neve.  Considering all of the iconic hit records that were recorded on
that console, it's a fascinating film.

> It was a simple concept, really. One that I had incorporated in other
> mixer controls. Instead of running the real audio through the mixer
> channel, you ran a specific tone through it instead. Then with a
> simple A/D converter you could map the levels to the DSP to control
> the actual settings for that channel of audio which is safely nested
> away in the digital world. Obviously, it was a little more complex
> than that as the overhaul of the SSL board alone cost about a
> half-million dollars and the DSP engine was a hand-crafted
> one-of-a-kind processor that was another four-times that amount.
> Still, it was brilliant. They overhauled an existing board because it
> was already a custom-built one that already had an awesome reputation.
>
> Wow.  That's a lot of work... but then, when you're playing in that
sandbox, those kind of numbers don't scare you as easily.  Very cool
concept, though.

> > Sorry to the list for the wayyyy OT stuff.  But hey, it's still gear
> p*rn,
> > just audio-guy gear p*rn instead of camera-guy gear p*rn.  Similar
> > diseases, slightly different strains....
>
> Some guys get excited about watches and pens. We get excited about audio
> mixers.

Yepper.

--

Paul Braun
Music Junkie

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life." -- Harlan Howard