Re: [OM] Big Sharp and Little Sharp I [was New panorama up]

Subject: Re: [OM] Big Sharp and Little Sharp I [was New panorama up]
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 13:14:31 -0400
Hmmm.  I have to retract my previous statement about not sharpening
under mask.  I do it all the time with portraits (eyes, eyebrows,
nostrils, lips and teeth, earrings and other jewelry... but not skin)
and sometimes to avoid sharpening the sky.

The memory is getting worse.  Hmmm.  Just realized that implies that I
remember how it used to be.  So it can't be too bad yet.  :-)

Chuck Norcutt

On 3/31/2013 10:15 AM, Bob Whitmire wrote:
> An excellent primer on the subject, Chuck. I am a disciple of Mr.
> Schewe, though Mr. Fraser had sloughed this mortal coil before I
> became aware of him.
>
> A company called Pixel Genius makes a superb sharpening program for
> Photoshop, which I use to good effect. It is the child of Mr. Schewe,
> and I believe Himself is customer support if you have questions about
> the program. It permits capture sharpening, sharpening for effect,
> and output sharpening. Many times the simple USM provided by LR4 is
> enough for me (Schewe also designed the sharpening in LR and ACR for
> Adobe), but there are times and prints when Pixel Genius is
> mandatory, especially because you can mask the hell of our certain
> areas and so sharpen sixteen different parts of the image sixteen
> different ways, if that's what you want to do. True, it takes are
> rally OCD photographer to want to do that, but it's nice to have the
> option. I believe my personal record is four sharpens to four
> different areas. (That includes _not_ sharpening the sky.)
>
> --Bob
>

> On Mar 31, 2013, at 8:37 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
>
>> I've recommended this before but, for an in-depth understanding of
>> digital image sharpening as outlined here by Moose, you should read
>> this book by the late Bruce Fraser and Jeff Schewe.
>> <http://www.amazon.com/World-Sharpening-Photoshop-Camera-Lightroom/dp/0321637550>

I don't profess to be anywhere near as good at sharpening as Moose is or