[OM] IMGs: More Desert Spring Wildflowers

Subject: [OM] IMGs: More Desert Spring Wildflowers
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 19:52:42 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     I had a very productive day Wednesday, even though a variable moderate
breeze that arose midday made closeups nearly impossible.  Early in the day I
encountered some Desert Wishbone Plant in full bloom, which has tissue-thin
white petals with a pinkish throat:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8601150961/in/photostream

     A couple of specimens of Hairy Lotus were encountered.  These are fairly
small plants with flowers that are scarcely 1/8" across.  When I first
encountered these years ago we named them Lotus teenyweenyi until they were
properly identified:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8601150785/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8601150823/in/photostream

     And there were numerous specimens of Chia.  At this point the breeze had
developed and taking a good closeup of an individual flower took a lot of time
and patience.  Of all the closeups that I took, only one was worth posting:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8601150837/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8601150913/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8601150937/in/photostream

     Fairy Duster was in full bloom:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8602299610/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8602299634/in/photostream

as were the numerous specimens of Janusia:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8602299662/in/photostream

     This area was burned over years ago in the lightning-caused Edge Fire, and
seeing this wonderful show of wildflowers, especially the Janusia, indicates
that the winter annuals in the area have recovered nicely.

     Still more photos to come after I've finished identifying them.

Chris