[OM] "Action" photography with the E-M5

Subject: [OM] "Action" photography with the E-M5
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 11:19:38 -0400
Until a couple days ago I hadn't shot anything with the E-M5 that I
would describe as "action" photography unless we count walking as
action.  But this past Saturday night I went with some friends to the
East Bay Raceway Park, a dirt track outside Tampa
<http://www.eastbayracewaypark.com/>.

I had been concerned about focus all night since our view from the
stands was largely blocked by two high chain link fences designed to
protect the spectators.  I was sure the camera would happily focus on
the fence rather than 50-100 yards behind it so had to locate some
alternative focus points.  Even with focus removed from the shutter
button, trying to pre-focus using an alternative focus point was
sometimes difficult.

The first time I tried to follow a car into turns 3 and 4 I thought I
had screwed up the focus since the image in the EVF was looking a bit
blurry as I hit the shutter button.  But to my pleasant surprise the
resulting image was sharp on the LCD.  It would appear that even when
panning with the camera the EVF may not be fast enough to completely
keep with the motion.  But the camera is.  Most of the shots are blah
but technically OK. :-)

Chuck Norcutt