Re: [OM] Anyone use one of these??

Subject: Re: [OM] Anyone use one of these??
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 16:54:40 -0500
On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 4:25 PM, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 3/11/2013 1:52 PM, Paul Braun wrote:
> > In my current quest for a tripod head, I came across the Manfrotto
> 322RC2,
> > which is the pistol-grip ballhead with the adjustable tension on the
> clutch.
>
> When I last bought a head, Manfrotto's squeeze handle ball head had a
> vertical handle, with the camera on top and ball
> on bottom. As it was a long handle, the camera waved all over the place as
> it was adjusted. Really awkward, and likely
> unstable with decent size camera and long lens.

I bought one:  http://www.adorama.com/BG3265.html.  I had a shorter tripod
at the time than the Bogen 3221 I purchased later.  It had some value in
making the tripod "taller" -- except when one wanted to shoot verticals,
which I do a lot.  Recomposing is a significant chore.  Nevertheless it has
its uses for getting the lens close to the subject without having quite so
much of the tripod intrude with it.  It ultimately became unsuitable for me
because it is just not fluid in motion.  It balks and sticks.  It's tough
to get precise position with it.

These are the downsides for me.  However, if the 322RC2 fixes all of those
problems, it might be a good user.  I would try it and see how readily one
can get the camera precisely where one wants it.  That might be hard to
assess in a camera store.  A no-questions-asked return policy for 30 days
would be a nice thing.  I would have the same concerns as Moose.  I don't
think the grip will get smoother over time but less smooth.

Joel W.