Re: [OM] OM-D E-M5 firmware update

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-D E-M5 firmware update
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 14:30:10 -0400 (EDT)
Chuck, your post reminded me to do the upgrade too.
But I had a completely different, but still  somewhat confusing experience.

After I downloaded the upgrade installer, which only took a minute or two,
when I connected the camera and selected "Next" to start the upgrade, the
camera  was not recognized. There was no spinning dial, no hard drive being
accessed.  After un connecting and reconnecting a couple of times, the
program "Olympus ib"  popped up. I selected "Next" again to attempt the upgrade
and got an error  message telling me to close "Olympus ib" ! As soon as I
closed it, I got a  message saying the OM-D EM-5 driver was successfully
installed. When I again  selected "Next" to start the upgrade, it started (I
saw
the spinning dial) and  it was completed in two minutes! I got the "OK" on the
camera LCD and all now  seems to be fine.

Once everything started working, the entire install took like 4 minutes.
But with all the error messages, about 10 minutes. Maybe the program was
working  behind the scenes without a spinning dial? I don't know, but this is
completely  normal considering my previous experiences with Olympus software.
They were not  smooth experiences either.

--George

Chuck wrote:

I had expected the entire process to take, perhaps, a few  minutes.  Once
it started up it quickly recognized the camera, called  home and then
advised me there was an update for the body but that the lens  was
current.  Click next to continue.  I did and it started with  an image of
a rotating wheel or arrow (I don't recall which) apparently  trying to
tell me it was doing *something*.  After about 10-15 minutes  the wheel
was still doing its rotation thing with no other status  information
displayed.  I had no idea what it was doing or how long it  might take or
even if it knew what it was doing.  What I did know is  that I wasn't
about to interrupt it.  I headed off to the bathroom to  shower and shave
and finally got back to the computer after a total of 25-30  minutes had
elapsed since I started it.  I was greatly relieved to see  a big "OK" on
the LCD and the installation software telling me to click  "next" and
detach the USB cable.

How long it actually took and  whether it was really working all that
time or merely waiting on Olympus  America I haven't a clue.  But this is
just fair warning... a  successful update might take quite some time.

Chuck  Norcutt