[OM] More on shutter vibration blur & Revision to Moose's The Olympus Pe

Subject: [OM] More on shutter vibration blur & Revision to Moose's The Olympus Pen Story, A Personal Version
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2013 16:03:29 -0800
I, and it seems others, have somehow assumed that Oly only got smart about
Shutter induced blur on µ4/3 cameras with the
E-M5.

I've now found some definite examples with the E-PL2. It seems that my thought
that wetware damping is at least
partially true. Shots where I was holding the camera fully with both hands seem
relatively unaffected.

There's one shot I've taken several times, and always got blurred results. The
light finally went on; it was at an
awkward angle, and I was holding the camera relatively poorly in one hand. I
kept the same grip - easier - and got the
shutter speed up to 1/320, and got a nice, sharp image.

I know from direct experience that the E-PL1 & 2 "Anti-Shock" setting is only 2
sec. I got curious about other, later
Pens, especially as I had suggested the E-PM1 as a possibility for a purse
camera for Marnie. A check of manuals from
Oly provided no clue.

Fortunately, dpreview is more through, showing all menu options. As it turns
out, the multiple settings for anti-shock
from 1/8 to 30 secs. were introduced with the E-P3 and, as has been Oly's wont
with operational and menu improvements,
continue in subsequent models. I've specifically checked the E-PL3 and E-PM1.

Altered State Moose

The Olympus Pen Story
A Personal Version

E-P1 – The capabilities of the E-620, 4/3 camera are shoehorned and/or
recreated in a much smaller body, without a
mirror and with a smaller lens mount, the µ4/3 mount.

It’s an exciting new idea, the Mirrorless, Interchangeable lens Camera, ILC.
Olympus and Panasonic, partners in the 4/3
Standard, have collaborated on this new standard, µ4/3. Panny’s first camera is
already out, and this is Oly’s first.

E-P2 – Only five months after the E-P1, the E-P2 comes out. The only technical
difference is the addition of an
accessory connector under the flash shoe. Really, it should be the E-P1a, but
marketing smarts choose to make it look to
the casual observer like there real action in the Pen line.

E-PL1 – Oly takes the same image creation innards and puts then in a body with
simplified controls, similar to many
compact cameras, and with some feature differences.

Downgrades:
Smaller, 2.7” LCD, with the same pixel count
No orientation sensor, continuing on all two letter models.
Mainly plastic body with aluminum skinned front (Stainless steel and alloys for
E-P2)
Image stabilization with claimed 3 stop benefit, vs. 4 stops for E-P2
Mono mic with option to add stereo using adapter vs. built-in stereo mics.
Maximum shutter speed 1/2000th sec, vs. 1/4000th.

Upgrades:
Built-in flash (external flashes only on E-P2)
Direct record movie button vs. movies only as position on E-P2 mode dial

They call this a Pen Lite, even though it’s only 6% lighter than the E-P2 and,
based on published dimensions, 14% larger
in volume. Lite must mean feature lite.

E-PL2 – Someone rethinks the super simple interface, gives the E-PL1 a cosmetic
redesign, adds one control wheel and
better control button layout.

Screen goes up to 3” and the number of pixels doubles. Occasionally useful,
lower DR ISO 100 dropped, mostly useless ISO
6400 added.

The actual big news isn’t the camera, but that the kit lens had been redesigned
to their MSC standard, and focuses much
faster and more quietly.

E-P3 – Some significant changes under another cosmetic redesign, more like the
PL2 than the P2. And the ever changing
front grip is now removable.

Same sensor, but a faster processor, for faster focus confirmation and shorter
screen blackout.
New 3” screen, OLED with touch and higher rez.
New, 35 point, AF, which continues in all later models.
AF illuminator light, which continues in all later models.
Anti-Shock was only 2 sec., now 1/8-30 sec, big step that combats shutter
shock, continues in all later models.

E-PL3 – Most significant – and most puzzling – change: The screen is still
listed as 3” and 460k pixels and, it tilts.
But, it is 16:9 proportions. So, when shooting or viewing full frame stills,
the image fills only the center of the screen.

So, lets see, all prior models but one have had 3”, 4:3 screens, 230,000,
460,000, then 614,000 pixels. The one small
one, on the E-PL1, is 2.7”, 230,000 pixels.

The actual screen for stills on this one is 2.45”, 345,000 pixels. Remember,
resolution is a linear function, while
pixel count is square/area. The increase from 230,000 to 460,000 with the E-PL2
increases resolution by 50%, not 100%.
 From the E-PL2, we’ve dropped resolution about 25%, and on a smaller screen.

E-PM1 – The forces behind the E-PL1 return, designing a quite capable camera
without adequate controls for anything but
Auto, without some frustration. Continues the video screen format, fixed.

NOTE: All the prior cameras make the same images. They make them faster with
the new processor starting with the E-P3.
There is some talk of an updated sensor along the way. But use the comparison
gizmo on dpreview. There is just no change
in image quality.

Lots of sound and fury. Folks like me, who weren’t keeping close track, could
easily think there was a lot of
development going on. An impressive job of smoke and mirrors, keeping the image
of action and progress alive with
feature/name/packaging changes, some modest real improvements, but still the
same image quality, until it really did
come alive in the E-M5.

E-PL5 – Most of the capability of the E-M5 in a more compact camera. Quite
alluring – until I discover it’s the same,
silly, video format screen. I lost interest.

E-PM2 – An E-PL5 in the low control body, with the video format screen.