[OM] Arrrrgggghhhh. Need sleep.... need sleep.....

Subject: [OM] Arrrrgggghhhh. Need sleep.... need sleep.....
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 20:12:25 -0500 (EST)
Ramblin' Moose wrties:
>>>Keep pace? As far as I can tell, Viewer has zero highlight recovery.

That seemed very weird to me.  I saw that mentioned 3 or more years ago
and it seems strange no intervention was made.  I recall Oly had the
Raw tone curve adjusted to preserve more detail in the shadows compared
to Can/Nik and  as the JPEG engine is so good, perhaps there wasn't
much info left in the highlight area to recover. .
A bit of digging comfirms   Studio is incapable of blown highlight
retrieval to any extent and there is indeed at least some recoverable
data int he ORF.   Too bad as AFAIK  it is still the only converter
that reads the geometric distortion correction metadata from Oly though
DXO has its own
profiles and also fixes CA as well adjustable deconvolution on the
softer areas.  The new ver 8 is better in highlights but mebbe not as
good as ACR in that capacity---but better than before I think.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/software/dxo_optics_pro8.html

Sometimes it is worth it to me depending on lens/cam/image to process
in DXO and export a tiff to PS but it is time consuming. Can't be tooo
long before ACR would have profiles for OM-D I would  think , but who
knows.

Not enough sleep either, Mike