Re: [OM] Domestic Violence Essay

Subject: Re: [OM] Domestic Violence Essay
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 09:41:01 -0600
> Interesting editorial and comments about the domestic violence photo essay
> I posted earlier:

Oft times, those who are critical of such actions or inactions may not
be very familiar with the environment and mentality of those involved
in a domestic violence situation. The battered person and the batterer
are not aware of just how off-center the entire situation is. From the
50,000 foot view, we cannot imagine how anybody could batter and how
somebody could be battered.  More often than not, when somebody does
intervene, the battered person will turn on the person trying to help.

Logical thinking does not exist.

My wife is involved in these kinds of situations as a part of what she
does. Trust me, the preacher preaching a 35 minute sermon on Sunday
Morning barely taps into the job. That's only a visible exhortation to
the masses aspect. Everything else is one-on-one. Unfortunately,
domestic violence is very prevalent across all races, creeds and
social-economic statuses. It is painful to have to deal with this
because both the abuser and the abused become such skilled deceivers
that they successfully deceive themselves. The challenge for the
outsider to this is to stay at the 50,000 foot level and not buy in to
any of the lies. Fortunately, there are code words and common phrases
that ALL people involved in domestic violence use. In a conversation,
it takes less than 30 seconds before you can usually figure out that
something is going on. Unfortunately, the success rate in getting to a
positive conclusion is extremely low. The majority stay put until
somebody dies of physical assault or old age.

I have no criticism of the photographer in this case. Absolutely none.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx