Re: [OM] (OM) Rural farm scenes on Kodachrome

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Rural farm scenes on Kodachrome
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2013 19:58:42 -0800
On 3/2/2013 1:14 AM, Brian Swale wrote:
> Here are two shots from 3 January 1958. Kodachrome 50 and Practika
> FX.Zeiss Tessar.

I've got that combo. I have no idea if the camera would work. The lens
certainly does.

> Yes, I know that one badly needs dust spotting.

1. Here's where the Polaroid Dust & Scratch filter comes in handy.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/BSwale/Home2_dipton-srp15-1200px.htm>

It's blunt instrument, but has it's uses. You can see how it kills details, but
if limited to low details areas, it can
save a LOT of time. It's possible that it can be adjusted to not leave subtle,
whitish tracks. I'm no expert with it.

> I scanned these at least 4 years ago; not sure which scanner / software I
> used.

2. A good cleaning before scanning would help a LOT. There was a discussion
here not too long ago about cleaning
techniques. As I recall, it was claimed that blowing with dust-off or eq. gives
the film a static charge that quickly
attracts new dust.

One proposed solution involved using cut up and cleaned up bits of Swiffer pads
of some sort. Another proposed static
charging a brush using canned air, as is done to clean sensors, so it will
attract and hold the dust. I have an ion
shooter that neutralizes static charges, left over from vinyl record days.

3. If you have available or acquire a scanner with IR channel, recent versions
of VueScan claim to do a much better job
with KR than before. I've not tried it yet. I believe AG said it is an
improvement.

Dusty Rides Again Moose