[OM] Magic Lantern for 5Dii, was Woo Hoo! was: Whoa....

Subject: [OM] Magic Lantern for 5Dii, was Woo Hoo! was: Whoa....
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 22:10:05 -0500 (EST)
Iwert writes:

>>do you use the magic lantern firmware? I always hesitated to upload
it...
>>Do you feel it improves handling of the 5Dii for classic still
photography?

>>All the best,

Am a newbie  with ML with it unlike CHDK which is second nature.  ML is
the cat's meow for video but some very interesting features
for stills.

This video is a bit dated but caught my attention.

http://www.eoshd.com/content/6640/eoshd-tests-the-new-magic-lantern-unified-on-5d-mark-ii

New or improved features include:

    Fast zebras
    Customizable menu and shortcut keys
    Automatic HDR bracketing
    A powerful timelapse tool
    Advanced FPS control
    Advanced ISO control
    Contrast and saturation adjustments for LiveView
    Image analysis tools in photo mode
    Very fast playback zoom

Perhaps the best for MF Zuikos are the "Magic Zoom."  as well as focus
peaking---previously worked only in video mode but now in photo mode
too.  Focus peakingwith zoom overlay simulates a split prism. IIRC if
you have both focus
peaking and magic zoom active, half press can toggle-or you can set
another button to toggle I think.
Not sure about  optimal settings for peaking. Right now will use 2nd
derivative, solid red color display with a threshold of 0.5%.

Screen shot of magic zoom:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8290/7804689500_0cce7aa5a6_o.jpg

HDR mode is fully configurable and not stuck with canyon choices.  If
you feel lazy one can pick the first exposure and ML  will bracket
until full dynamic range is covered.  I don't know how useful the color
zebras will be with Zuikos as I have never trusted LV exposure even
with chipped adapters.  Others have had better results--perhaps the emf
chip if the wide open aperture AND the aperture used are both reported
would improve that--I can't
say.  The discrepancy improved on my cam after a firmware update a year
or so ago.  The difference with Canyon lenses is modest.

No bricked cams reported though some transient weirdness especially
with early releases.. (early release came with caveat that if it
breaks, "you get to keep both pieces")  Fred on FM has recently stated
he thought it is a piece of solid engineering.

   I think if you hold in the set button when the normal firmware will
load if you prefer that on occasion.  Not much to lose
really.  I wonder how it would work with a Zucuto Z-finder?  Getting
bulky and expensive though.

Why not try the hocus pocus to improve your focus?  Mike