Re: [OM] IMG: Shoes (and Shucking)

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Shoes (and Shucking)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 13:16:57 -0800
On 2/21/2013 6:59 AM, Tina Manley wrote:
> PESO:
>
> Here is another one to play with:

This one can be improved quite a bit, by my moderate grain standards. But there
are a couple ofoddities.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Manley/Shoes.htm>

Unlike Shucking Corn, the shadows here open up nicely. But what is all that
noise in them? Easily enough whacked, but where does it come from? Is the Nikon
that noisy?

Look at the little girl's forearm. With NR, odd 'squiggles' appear on the
smooth skin. If you look closely, they are there all along, but removing
noise/grain reveals them.

These really surprised me. I have seen them in many digital camera images, esp.
smaller sensors and at higher ISOs, but never in scans with good film scanners.
Certainly never with my FS4000. I'm sure you would find that they are not on
the film, but somehow being introduced in scanning, or possibly processing.
Certain combinations of NR and sharpening, combined with big grain, might
produce them. There are other, similar artifacts elsewhere, but possibly only
my eagle eye will notice them.

Shucking Corn, with the same film, but darker subject has no shadow detail to
recover in the scan output we were given, and has similar noise, or does the
film have random golfballs on a clear substrate?

Anyway, easy to make the shadows look better, but not to extract anydetail.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Manley/Shucking_Corn.htm>

Softly Grainy Moose