Re: [OM] Railway Stations

Subject: Re: [OM] Railway Stations
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 14:05:27 -0000
Yes and no, Chris. The Midland Grand originally did open as a railway hotel,
but having been designed with more of an eye to grandeur and opulence than
to commercial success, it did not have any running water in any of it rooms.
It therefore closed in 1935, and the rooms became railway company offices,
in which state they festered for 50 years.

Although they had the headline right, they did not edit the numerous
reader-supplied references to "train stations". Yuck.

Piers

PS I passed through it almost daily for a similar period of time - and also
used its northern twin, Manchester Central station, for many years. The
railway company never built the 'permanent' frontage for it, so it lasted a
century with wooden offices.