Re: [OM] OT: PowerGen I-thingie car charger

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: PowerGen I-thingie car charger
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 01:07:54 -0800
On 2/9/2013 7:03 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> These were pointed out here as being able to charge 2 things at once
> even higher drawing i-pad.
> First one really would not charge my phone.  I tested it upon receipt
> and the charger did light up as expected and I heard the charge
> chime.  2nd time  the chime would chime intermittently every few
> minutes while plugged in while driving.  The charge symbol was
> not displayed on the phone though it didn't discharge any either. .

I have not used mine seriously. Put it in the car, plugged the iPad in, it made
it's happy noise and the charge symbol
went on. And OK with the iPhone.

That's only on the "A" port, of course. The "NA" port is for devices that don't
like the Apple line 2-3 voltage signaling.

> the overall reviews were quite good so thought I just got a lemon by
> bad luck and I returned it and bought another.
> This one behaves the same way.  I thought it might be the car as I read
> some dedicated cables that not only charge but couple the phone to the
> audio system may not charge well depending on the IOS version.  No luck
> in Tahoe either.  Any ideas?

My Audi 5000CS Turbo Quattro had a different diameter 12v socket than my other
cars. Have the high end German makers
gone standard, or do you need a spacer/adapter of some kind? Our RV is a
Mercedes underneath, but has standard 12v
outlets, but then, it was made to be labeled Dodge and sold in NA.

I have a couple of little flash lights that live in 12v outlets, and they have
an adapter for larger diameters.

Was the Tahoe port one that's on all the time? Might the ignition have been
off, and the port dead? Seems like every car
I encounter is different that way.

Empowered Moose