[OM] Winterlude photos

Subject: [OM] Winterlude photos
From: Martin Walters <mwalters@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 00:31:53 -0500
I've put a selection up at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/14675507@N08/sets/72157632732868748/

This year, the weather has been kind to the ice sculptures, which are in
excellent condition. They are usually back lit with changing colours.

Camera was set to auto everything (WB, ISO-max3200), default metering
and aperture priority. Most were taken with the 45/1.8, several with the
Pen F 70/2 and a couple with the 12-50. I'd decided that it would be
telephoto night, but never got to use the 100/2.

Most were, happily taken hand held (the 45 focusses quickly and
accurately as far as I can see), especially those of the Korean display;
the ice sculptures were pretty much all on tripod. Typically shutter
speed was 1/60 - 1/100, which is fine for a 45mm lens. Interestingly the
others in the group were only using tripods.

The photos are all OOC jpegs. Some, particularly the girls rappelling
down the building, appear to have blown highlights. The RAW files that
I've looked at do not show that. The lighting on the girls was quite
difficult and changing. The reds (in general) seem to be a little "off".
I suspect that the jpegs have the saturation turned up a bit.

The professional photographer with us had two Nikon FF cameras with
large, heavy lenses (He was the official photographer for Winterlude).
He seemed genuinely impressed with what the OM-D was showing (he was at
ISO 6400).

The camera was quite manageable with thin gloves. Of course (or
unfortunately), the touch screen doesn't work with gloved hands. Oh well.

Oh yes, as back up I brought along my OM2N loaded with Portra 400. Just
in case the OM-D froze or misbehaved.

Martin