Re: [OM] The Boys of Winter - 4 more photos.

Subject: Re: [OM] The Boys of Winter - 4 more photos.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2013 14:24:29 -0800
On 2/3/2013 10:17 AM, David Young wrote:
> G'Mornin', Tina & Joel..
>
> The problem in the first set..
>
> http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/Stake_2011-13.html
>
> is not in the photograph, but in WHEN the photo was taken.  The E3 tracked the
> rider well, during the crash, and by the time I had reacted, snow was
> everywhere.

Yes, that's what I thought you were showing. E-3 caught the action, E-M5 the
aftermath.

> The E-M5 would not track the rider, until he was almost stopped, as you can
> tell, from the very small amount of snow spray coming from the front fender.
>
> While it is a good quality shot, it does not have the impact of the top shot.

Yup.

> The second set is simply to illustrate what the E3 can do, and which I would
> hope the E-M5 would have done.  But, it didn't.

I'm one of those happy with my E-M5. But then, I got what I expected. I can see
trying one out, since it was available.
But I would not have expected it to do what you want. The difference in the way
the two different AF systems work, along
with the universal observations in reviews about focus tracking capability
would lead me to expect exactly what you
experienced.

Oly has worked what appear to be wonders with CD AF, but have not cracked the
tracking of rapidly moving things.

My interest in competitive sports approaches zero, so the subjects of these
images don't interest me. However, I have to
say that the first of the second set I find attractive as image, based on
composition, color, texture, etc.

A thing of beauty in its own right.

Your comments here and before about focus tracking are interesting. A former
list member was interested in finding a way
to make a living as a motor sports photographer. As he started to have success
and moved into Canon digital gear, he
left. But he lived nearby and I had a chance to spend some time with him and
see some prints.

He said it was pretty universal at that time for action shots of very fast
vehicles to set up (quite long lenses),
manually focus on a spot and learn to anticipate exactly when the thing passed
through that spot, pressing the release
just the right amount early to compensate for your camera's shutter lag.

He did get into the business as a working pro. How successfully or for how
long, I don't know.

Slow Tracking Moose