Re: [OM] Two studies of abandoned automobiles

Subject: Re: [OM] Two studies of abandoned automobiles
From: Dawid Loubser <dawid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 23:26:02 +0200
Thank you kindly, Philippe!

You know what makes me get good tones out of digital images? Five years
of using film-only :-) I merely strive for the tones I got almost
automatically from film, and I do so by spending a lot of time with the
tone curve, usually applying a rather complex shape. Each image has
unique tonal requirements, and I don't apply some preset to images
haphazardly. I start from scratch with each image, but I do first apply
a colour filter that I've built up over some time, that mimics quite
closely how some of the Adox CHS films (my favourites, now
discontinued :-( responds to colour.

I used to use RawTherapee (which is still unequalled in this world for
pulling real, artifact-free detail from a RAW file, bar none) but
decided to try the wonderful Darktable also, thus having had to start
from the beginning again. I'm thrilled with the results from both apps,
but Darktable is better at getting the most dynamic range / least noise,
at the expense of getting less detail (resolution) from the RAW files.

kind regards,
Dawid