[OM] trains et al

Subject: [OM] trains et al
From: "Bob Benson" <bob.benson91@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 16:21:07 -0600
Hi, y'all.

Interested in the train discussions.   I've been traveling to Tilburg
Netherlands to teach,   now for 28 years.   Usually 4 times a year or so.

I have always been interested in the public transport system here.
Terrific.

When I've talked about this to Dutch folks,  they remind me:

1.      The claim is that no Dutch citizen is more than 100 meters from a
transport stop (bus, et al.)

2.      Financial terms are very good for students . like no charge.  And
you can be a student here for a looooooong time.

3.      Trains (and busses and trams) run on time !

4.      They do a very good job of integrating train and taxi service to
final destination;  buy a single ticket and get both.

5.      But the train / transportation systems are in deep financial glue.

They also say that the average queue length on the "interstates" at heavy
times has gone from 100 KM cumulative for the country to now well more than
500KM.   They've actually invested in more highway capacity as well.

And . all the commercial development (which I've observed over the 28 years
I've been coming here) is around highway intersections, not train stops.

And . per capita car ownership is exploding.

So what's going on?  My own judgment:  it's still a very tough sell to get
folks out of their cars . even when the alternative is there and is running
good as in Holland.  So when I hear of multi-billion plans in the US (e.g.,
the fast train in California) I,  essentially, snort.  If the Dutch can't do
it successfully,  if in the face of good public transport and in a high
density country, they still want cars,  then it's really problematic.
Really problematic.

Bob Benson