Re: [OM] IMG: Florida Mendoza

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Florida Mendoza
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 11:27:47 -0600
> Thanks, Ken.  I am watching a tutorial on Photoshop and may someday know
> how to do what you suggest.  I'm not deleting any of the marginal scans
> because someday there may be a way to fix them!!  Maybe my grandkids can do
> it ;-)

There is a nifty trick that just might work in the case where you
really do want to save an image. There is some astrophotography
software that will do this automatically, but here we go.

1. Apply a blur to the image to make the sharpest part of the image
match the point of greatest concern--usually the eyes. As the eyes are
already out of focus, you won't lose any more resolution there.

2. Apply a moderate amount of noise reduction to tone down the grain.

3. Upsize and rotate the image by 30 degrees in a single step. PWP has
this ability built-in, otherwise an astrophotography image processor
may be required. I don't know if PS has this ability. The upsize
should be to at least twice the linear dimension. Not remember
exactly, as it has been a while since I've done this last.

4. This is where things get tricky. The ordering of the next two steps
may depend on the specific image and your computer. But you will need
to downsize the image by at least 50% and also apply a deconvolution
sharpening. Deconvolution sharpening seems to be the best option here.
But you will need to sharpen and downsize the image.

5. Rotate and crop.

6. Final post-resize and rotation sharpening, and output sharpening.

The key to this process is two things that work together. The 30
degree rotation and the deconvolution sharpening. In order for it to
work, though, the entire image has to have a certain baseline of
defocus.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx