Re: [OM] Five new shots up

Subject: Re: [OM] Five new shots up
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 09:05:14 -0600
On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 1:54 AM, Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks, Paul, those are interesting shots.  It's a shame that the canal
> has been allowed to run dry, but I suppose that water is scarce when it's
> dry.  Luckily we have most of our canals maintained (and it's not really
> dry here in the UK).
>
> Chris
>
> Thanks, Chris.  I have more to post later, and I'm going back out with a
friend this Spring to explore more.  The I&M opened in 1848, paid for
itself by 1871.  By then the railroads had started to grow, and by 1914 the
I&M was pretty much closed to commerce.  It also didn't help that they
built the wider and deeper Sanitary and Ship Canal right next to it - the
ability to host much larger boats pretty much spelled the end of the I&M.
It was completely closed to traffic in 1956.

Since it's now a national historic corridor, several sections have been
restored to look pretty much as they were when boats traveled. At the West
end of the canal, right before it joins the Illinois River, they've
restored a couple of miles and run an excursion with a mule-drawn replica
of a passenger boat.

I really wish that they had restored one of the locks so that you also had
to lock through, but at least you can experience part of it.

I've seen some video on youTube of small personal canal boats traveling
canals in the UK - looks like there's a whole subculture of people who use
them like we use RV's over here.

--

Paul Braun
Music Junkie

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life." -- Harlan Howard