Re: [OM] IMG: Waiting

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Waiting
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 10:53:10 -0600
>> That won't fly in today's pop music world.  The key to setting compressors
> is to crank it down until you can hear it squashing the signal, then simply
> grab the knob and crank it all the rest of the way.   Unless the waveform
> shows two states - off and solid black - then you aren't doing it right.

LOL, Well, I can be partly blamed since I was teaching that technique
back in the early-mid '90s and helped develop a popular multiband
compressor that was quite capable of generating a binary waveform.
I've even got one version of it in my home studio, along with a few
other cool little toys.

The nice thing about Yamaha digital mixers is the built in compression
function is a little more aggressive than the settings indicate. As
such, you can usually slam the signal into oblivion without even
breaking a sweat. I didn't say that it SOUNDED GOOD, but at least you
can squish stuff really hard. 16:1 is a good place to start.

Back to that, when I say "till you can hear it", well, maybe I'm a
little deaf. ;)

AG Ears

--
Ken Norton