Re: [OM] The E-M5 has arrived

Subject: Re: [OM] The E-M5 has arrived
From: danmitchell@xxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 08:47:29 -0700
>Carry bag, lighter weight tripod and usage suggestions will be greatly
> appreciated.

  I think the Lowepro Munich 100 is about as small as is physically
 possible while still holding the OM-D + 12-50 + 40-150 and providing
 some padding; the 14-150 is apparently a bit longer, so it might not
 quite fit.

  But I've found I don't think of it as a matter of "time to get the
 camera bag" as much as I used to. It's a camera that when I'm using it,
 it just fits in a jacket pocket with one lens mounted and the other lens
 in the other pocket, and that works just fine -- I can re-think what I
 actually need to use when carrying it around and treat it the same way I
 did the old OM bodies, whereas the 4/3 E-bodies were big enough they
 really did need a 'real' bag.

  Tripods, an ultrapod/gorillapod works well to give a stable surface as
 long as you have something to rest it on. Otherwise, I still like the
 Slik Compact tripod -- I'm sure there are better options for
 stability/height/quick-assembly/load-bearing-ness, but it's cheap,
 light, packs very small, and does the job.

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Electronics/CameraAccessories/PRD~4001-622/uco-ultrapod-ii-large-tripod.jsp

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Electronics/CameraAccessories/PRD~4003-390/slik-compact-tripod.jsp

  Usage -- I think other people have covered most of the technical
 details, the only thing I'd mention is to remind you that the cheap
 ex-kit Panasonic 14/2.5's still exist in vast numbers on eBay for $170
 or so, and a 14/2.5 on an E-M5 is _very_ pocket-sized indeed. (if not
 quite the digital XA I'm still hoping for).

  Heck, the 40-150 lens is on sale for $200 almost all the time (on
 henrys right now, for instance), which is why I got that as well as the
 12-50.

  A usage question -- what settings are people using for video? I've
 found that it has a much harder time tracking focus with video than any
 other camera I've used, and bounces off into the background
 unexpectedly. Should I explicitly be using the C-AF+TR mode? I'm sure
 one of my other cameras has a setting called something like "if AF
 distance changes very suddenly during video, wait a moment before trying
 to re-focus", which would be helpful here.

  -- dan