Re: [OM] Confession, and a little confusion [was Panny 20mm/1.7 DOF]

Subject: Re: [OM] Confession, and a little confusion [was Panny 20mm/1.7 DOF]
From: Peter Klein <pklein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 17:40:01 -0800
Moose:  I'm using one of those Leica lookalike 46mm "vented" hoods (from
"Heavystar"). I also have an old Waltz hood that is more cylindrical.
Both work, neither have caused any trouble. I think that many (most?)
"normal" lens hoods were designed to work for both 50mm and 35mm lenses
on film.  The 39mm Leica vented hoods could be used on either. So
vignetting-wise, its 46mm cousin should be fine with a 20mm (an
in-between 40mm equivalent), and my experience says it is.

I believe in lens hoods. Just as I believe in wide-brimmed hats. The
former drastically reduces flare in one's eyeglasses, the latter in
camera lenses. The 20/1.7 will flare a bit with oblique bright light
sources, so 'tis a good thing to have one.

--Peter

Moose wrote:
 > Have you run into any flare problems? Panny doesn't even make a hood
for it. There are a couple of similar > designs of metal hood Leica
lookalikes all over the place, as well as a few rubber designs. Many are
designed for > WA, which this lens isn't, @ 40 mm eq., so I don't see
any point in them.

 > I'm a little concerned, as I can't tell if any are of small enough
outer diameter at the base, just above their > mounting threads. The
front of the lens retracts slightly behind the surrounding bezel when
turned off. Thus, > the manual says:

 > "Accessories other than filters, such as conversion lenses or
adaptors [sic], cannot be mounted on this lens. It > may interfere with
the focus operation or damage the lens."

 > So, mounting just any old 46mm screw-in hood, and some other ideas I
found on
 > the web, could damage the lens.
 >

 > I've seen in more than one place on the web that the B&W rubber hood
(for normal lenses, not WA) doesn't > vignette on this lens and
collapses nicely for storage. I've ordered an $8, 9 condition, used one
and a $2 used 46 > mm filter.

 > If the hood interferes with the lens collapsing fully, I plan to take
the glass out of the filter and use it as > a spacer. If that results in
vignetting, hey, it's rubber. :-)