Re: [OM] IMG: Fast asleep at 320 km/h -Chuck

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Fast asleep at 320 km/h -Chuck
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 10:20:21 +1100
They always required high maintenance - it's why the last countries in the
world to use steam locos were ones that had a good supply of cheap labour.
Cleaning out the boiler and firebox alone is hard and nasty work. The steam
train line that runs through my backyard relies on volunteers. But of course,
everyone wants to be an engineer and no-one wants the rake out the box, so they
have to qualify for time by doing the scut work as well. As they are a 'going
concern' with a good income as a tourist railway, they have their own safety
inspection staff.
They have an old wood burner, an ex-sugar train engine with insanely low
gearing. It used to pull very long light trains and it's only small. Costs them
a fortune in firewood every time they run it so it doesn't get many outings.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.soultheft.com
Publisher: The SLR Compendium - http://www.blurb.com/books/3732813