Re: [OM] Gallery participation and launch schedule.

Subject: Re: [OM] Gallery participation and launch schedule.
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 10:15:05 -0600
> You mean Caesar, right? <g> Has a nice ring to it.

Smell checker didn't catch it.

> When you lock in image heights, is that going to be 900 pixels? I ask because
> the images I've been working on all come in around 933 pixels in height, and
> 1400 pixels in width. No problem to adjust the short (or long) to 900 if the
> limit doesn't have wiggle room. Or will the gallery software automatically
> reset height?

The 900 pixel limit is currently for long-side, regardless of which it
is. That forces a standard viewing experience for everybody without
having to click on full-size. The full-size image has no limits. I
don't know if we may eventually have to force limits on the full-size
images, but for now, it's wide open. That should make Moosifications a
bit better.

So, when you have an image which is 1400 in width, the site will
create a 900 width version of it for "normal viewing". But when you
click on the full-size, the 1400 version pops up.

Do note, that the quality setting for the resized images is 95%. This
is a bit on the high side as it makes the files larger, but it is a
very rare image that shows artifacts at 95%.

I'm learning my way with this particular "theme" for the gallery. I
have always used "Matrix" which allows the user to select which size
to be viewed as a matter of normalcy. As such, I have 640, 800, 1024
and sometimes 1600 pixel versions to choose from. But the "Carbon"
theme doesn't give you that choice. I suppose I could alter the
sidebar to add that functionality, but then it breaks from the LUG
norm--which we're trying to have the same look and feel.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx