Re: [OM] Flash score

Subject: Re: [OM] Flash score
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2013 20:55:23 -0500
The FL-50 and T-32s being hot shoe flash units can be mounted on light
stands and triggered with this inexpensive optical trigger
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEAGULL-SYK-3-Hot-Shoe-Flash-Light-Remote-Optical-slave-Trigger-for-Canon-Nikon-/250888270544?pt=Camera_Flash_Accessories&hash=item3a6a1b32d0>

The T-45, however, isn't a hot shoe flash and you'll need a PC
connection to trigger it if it's not being driven by an OM TTL body.
That requires this optical trigger which is the same as the other one
except for the addition of a PC socket for the T-45's PC connector
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/SYK-4-Optical-Slave-Flash-Trigger-For-Hot-Shoe-Flash-/370539122604?pt=Camera_Flash_Accessories&hash=item5645da4fac>

Or, for the $1 difference maybe you'd like them all to have a PC socket
for maximum future versatility.

But you will need some light stands to hold the flash units and maybe
other accessories like umbrellas, umbrella adapters, etc.

As long as you can fire one flash directly from the camera all you need
on the other flash units are optical triggers.  Unlike Ken I have not
been happy with my cheap sets of ebay radio triggers.  Too many times it
doesn't work at all or works intermittently.  Life is too short for
those kinds of problems.  Even if you don't have any flash triggered
directly from the camera you can get by with one transmitter and one
receiver and fire everything else optically.

If the flash units are being used with no light modifiers that block the
sensor you can put them in auto mode and control the output of each
individually with the ISO slider.  If you're using them behind umbrellas
or softboxes though they need to be in manual mode.  The problem with
T-32s it that they only have 2 power levels so you'll have to be
creative on how to control the light intensity.

Chuck Norcutt