Re: [OM] Trifles with Tripods, Part 2

Subject: Re: [OM] Trifles with Tripods, Part 2
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2013 20:17:52 -0800
On 1/6/2013 5:28 AM, Chris Trask wrote:
>       I finally got my second tripod head built to the point where I can
> experiment with it and determine if it's really worthwhile.  Biggest hurdle
> was making the part that attaches the salvaged telescope equatorial mount to
> the tripod legs, and a scrap piece of aluminum angle extrusion at the local
> metal supply shop provided a very simple solution:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8353757276/
>
>       Adjusting the pan and elevation with the verniers makes composition
> easy with no interaction or backlash.  Now, taking a macro photo of a flower
> from a distance of eight feet is no longer the frustrating ordeal that it had
> been.  And this contraption, named Frankenpod 2, weighs about the same as my
> Velbon PH-250 3-way head.

I'm sure you had a great time accomplishing this, and it's an elegant solution.

But I'll just stick with my Manfrotto geared head. It didn't cost that much
used, and accomplishes the same thing, with
two improvements. It is three axis, and there is a simple way to bypass the
vernier screws for large, quick adjustments,
then drop back onto them.

A geared head is just wonderful for the kind of work you describe. Have Fun!

Gear Head Moose