Re: [OM] Another gadget obsoleted.

Subject: Re: [OM] Another gadget obsoleted.
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2013 18:01:11 -0500
All the technical detail about cell phones is interesting but immaterial
to the Nexus since there is no cell function.  But I have re-thought
what I said about the speed of the Nexus GPS in acquiring satellites.
It's just possible that it all cases it already knew its starting
position from earlier wi-fi use at home or from a hotel.  I should think
at some time that I've cold booted it in a strange location without
wi-fi nearby but maybe not.  I'll make a specific point of testing that
scenario.  The Garmin definitely starts faster if it's proceeding from
the same position it was in when last powered down but even then usually
requires minutes (not seconds) to get it's bearings.  If it's in a
strange starting location it can be a very long time punctuated with
messages "awaiting more satellites for better accuracy".  But the Garmin
is at least 5 years old.  The Nexus is new.

Chuck Norcutt