[OM] Lightroom

Subject: [OM] Lightroom
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 10:00:52 -0600
I've decided that if I'm going to pony up the cash for LR, then I'd better
start learning how to use it properly.

That photo of the drive-in theatre was an eye-opener for me about the
abilities of good image processing software... yesterday was clear sky,
harsh sun in Valpo.  The back of the movie screen is a big, off-white slab
facing the sun, which puts the ticket booth in a virtual shadow due to the
difference in reflectivity.

Simply adjusting the exposure in LR either gave me a nicely-lit booth and a
blown out screen, or a nicely-lit screen and a booth that was really dark.
Just for fun, I grabbed the sliders for "highlights" and "shadows" and
played with them....

Suddenly I was able to bring the screen down a bit and bring the booth up
just enough and voila'!  I had a nice overall exposure that pretty much
matched what I saw with my eyes.  I'm thinking I need to spend some time
with some tutorials and really start to learn how to use the tools beyond
simple curves tweaking.  Hmmmmm.... the more I think about it, the more I
think that this PAW concept that I'm blatantly borrowing is really a good
thing for me and my abilities.

Also - I did a extreme crop of just the signage on the front of the boot to
see how the E-M5 and 12-50 combo did... I was probably 200 to 250 feet away
when I shot that, and you can see all of the lettering and it's pretty
sharp.  I am very satisfied with my choices so far...

--

Paul Braun
Music Junkie

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life." -- Harlan Howard