Re: [OM] OT: New Year's resolutions

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: New Year's resolutions
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2013 20:40:46 -0500
No need for an external case if you use one of these
<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153071>
Accepts drop-in 2-1/2" or 3-1/2" SATA drives and attaches to your
computer via USB or eSATA.  I've installed eSATA adapters in my
computers since it's way faster than USB.

I use it for general backup, image backup and cloning the hard drive
from time to time.  In fact, I just had to use a recently cloned drive
on my wife's laptop.  The original drive developed some sort of awful
performance problem.  It would read and write reliably but you wouldn't
want to wait for it to do so.  All sorts of diagnostics and virus checks
never uncovered the problem so I popped the 3 day old clone drive in
which fixed the problem. I'm now awaiting a replacement for the clone.

These drive docks are available in other brands and also as refurbs from
newegg.com.  But I have 2 of the BlacX docks and they work very reliably
so I'm not inclined to change horses.

You can keep your uncased drives in these inexpensive storage boxes from
ebay
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/PP-3-5-Portable-HDD-Store-Storage-Tank-Box-Case-Sata-Hard-Drive-Disk-Enclosure-/310435206915?ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123>

  He'll mix the colors for you if desired. He has the same thing for
2-1/2" drives but only in blue
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-2-5-Sata-IDE-Hard-Drive-Disk-PP-Plastic-Storage-HDD-Box-Case-Tank-Enclosure-/310445666942?pt=US_Drive_Enclosures_Docks&hash=item484800f27e>

Chuck Norcutt