Re: [OM] Confounding factors [was IMG: M8 vs. OM-D, real people pictures

Subject: Re: [OM] Confounding factors [was IMG: M8 vs. OM-D, real people pictures]
From: Peter Klein <pklein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 12:56:06 -0800
Hi, Moose!  Nice to chat with you the other day.  I hope you're drying
out nicely back home.

Thanks for the tips re. Micro 4/3 "shutter shock."  This is the first
I've heard of the it, and I thought I'd read everything about the E-M5
before I bought it.  My wife certainly did. One day she said to me,
"Stop reading all those reviews, and just buy the camera already!"

I'll pop that 1/8 second delay into my presets today, and see if it
makes a difference.  Now that I think about it, there have been a number
of shots, even outdoors, where I thought they ought to have been
sharper.  I had been chalking it up to IS or autofocus quirks or me
doing something wrong. Now the light dawns. There's a fellow on another
list who often deliberately misspells "shutter" as "shudder."  I guess
he was right.  :-)

Would you kindly share what you did to sharpen this picture up?
Inquiring minds want to know...
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Klein/PC240053-w.htm>

--Peter

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/Thanksgiving12/PB220029+2.jpg.html>

 > I'm going to try ISO 1600 for my next indoor session.  That may be the
 > "sweet spot" of IQ vs. noise and noise-related degradation.
 >

 > There are so many factors interacting on the issues of noise and
sharpness here that I can't see how any clear > conclusions may be
reached. I will leave WB aside for others.

 > 1. You are comparing a high grade Leica lens with a consumer grade
Zuiko. There is almost certainly a > significant difference in lens IQ.
OTOH, for this size web image, there shouldn't be much visible difference.

 > 2. The shutter speeds for your sample E-M5 images are at 1/100 to
1/200 sec. Unfortunately, Oly seems to be > unable to shake a tendency
toward body induced shake, and this happens to be right in the
troublesome speed range. > He's a good summary of the issue. <>
http://cameraergonomics.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/micro-43-shutter-shock-revisited-omd-em.html>

 > So, had you used 1600 ISO, you might have seen better sharpness,
probably attributed it to the lower ISO, > whereas most of the
difference would likely be due to another cause. At 800, shutter speeds
would drop out of the > troublesome range.

 > Unlike the aperture stop down induced vibration of the OM bodies,
this time Oly has provided a solution. I have > been using the 1/8 sec.
AutoShock setting since reading this, and it has largely resolved some
confusing results > I'd been experiencing. I've noticed no practical
difference in use, but others may notice the tiny lag.

 > It's quick and easy to switch AutoShock on and off. Once it's turned
on in the Menu, the number of settings in > Drive are doubled, and the
AS ones have a diamond by them. Using the Quick Control Panel, it's four
or five clicks > for me to change, from my default highlighted choices,
ISO or WB.

 > The shot of you on your second birthday ;-) is shot at 1/40 and ISO
800, which eliminate the two primary > unsharpness causes. As above, the
17/2.8 is just fine for this size image. Only pixel peepers or those
making big > prints or crops are likely to see the reported flaws.

 > 3. You are correct that higher ISOs create a sharpness penalty. And
it does seem a bit unfair to compare cameras > set at 2 1/3 stops
different ISOs. Still, for this kind of shot, intended for the web, I
find 3200 to be the > sweet spot. It allows me to use smaller apertures
for greater DOF, the IS (which is certainly not part of your > problems)
allows slowish shutter speeds, and my post processing handles noise,
micro-contrast and sharpness > consequences of the ISO setting.

 > 4. Although you say lighting hasn't changed, the actual exposures
vary a lot from year to year. In the first > pair, the exposures are
identical. In the second, the Oly shot is exposed 1 1/3 stops more than
the M8, according > to the EXIF. 3rd pair, Oly 1/3 stop more than Leica,
4th. pair, 2 stops! With exposures not comparable, > comparisons of
noise aren't, either.

 > 5. As mentioned above, the sweet spot may depend on not only display
size, but on post processing. Even working > with the small image,
perhaps flawed by camera vibration, noise and sharpness are fairly easy
to control. <>
http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Klein/PC240053-w.htm>

 > Working with the Raw file, they are quite easy to control. Here, I
used 3200 to get lots of DOF at f8 to get > both niece and her brother
in focus as they check out their Christmas presents. <>
http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Travel/Seattle/Christmas_2012&image=>

_C253502rotcroofm.jpg>