[OM] IMG: M8 vs. OM-D, real people pictures

Subject: [OM] IMG: M8 vs. OM-D, real people pictures
From: Peter Klein <pklein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 21:28:11 -0800
The following is unscientific, but probably useful.  These pictures were
shot at the same house, in the same general situation (festive
occasions), with much the same lighting, some of the same people, and
too much food. The difference is that the first picture of each pair
below was taken with a Leica M8 and 35/1.4 Summilux ASPH at ISO 640.
The second picture of each pair (Christmas Eve this year) was taken with
an OM-D E-M5 and a Panasonic 20/1.7 at ISO 3200. Each pair was taken at
roughly the same place, and so has similar lighting unless the bulbs
were changed to something different in between the pictures.

Both lenses were used somewhere between wide open and closed down one
stop.  Everything was shot RAW and processed with Capture One, using the
defaults, and making the white balance look reasonably good to my eye,
but without my trying to go against the basic nature of the camera.

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/friends/erevxmas2011/L1008813.jpg.html>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/xmaseve2012/PC240049-w.jpg.html>

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/friends/NewYear2011-12/L1009035.jpg.html>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/xmaseve2012/PC240053-w.jpg.html>

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/friends/erevxmas2011/L1008832.jpg.html>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/xmaseve2012/PC240067-w.jpg.html>

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/friends/ErevXmas09/L1005913.jpg.html>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/xmaseve2012/PC240069-w.jpg.html>

Feel free to browse the rest of the folders if you want to see more.

Here's what I'm seeing so far:

1. The M8 with 35mm Summilux is clearly sharper when properly focused.
But the E-M5 with 20/1.7 is quite usable. Note that the difference in
sharpness is less when both cameras are set at ISO 800, but it is still
there, and you can see it even in these Web-sized JPGs.
2. Despite the E-M5's wonderful image stabilization, I can get sharper
shots at ~1/60 with the M8 than I can with the E-M5.
3. The M8 is biased towards pink/magenta, the E-M5 towards yellow. (Yes,
I'm using an IR filter on the M8).
4. The E-M5 at 3200 is a bit noisier than the M8 at 640. From other
sessions not shown here, I see that at 800/640 the E-M5 seems a little
less noisy than the M8 in the shadows. So 1600 may be the "sweet spot"
for the E-M5. I'm going to shoot New Year's Eve at ISO 1600 rather than
3200, and see how that fares.

--Peter