Re: [OM] PSTCRD: Paris as usual - Frank

Subject: Re: [OM] PSTCRD: Paris as usual - Frank
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 20:52:27 -0800
On 12/20/2012 4:53 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Brown ale judge Moose writes:
>> It's been 35 years since I've had that beer in the UK. At least with the
>> import stuff, I'm over it. There are better domestic brown ales.
> Agreed. Newcastle Brown is fair to middling. Resembles a light lager as
> much as English Brown Ale.

Not sure about that. Not THAT light, and actually brown, and too sweet for
either category.

> It is probably the most well known of the genre though and why places insist
> in having this as there one brown ale I have no idea.

Marketing and distribution.

> BTW not more than 10 yrs ago I would bet there was
> little difference between American Brown ales and English brown ales. I
> think now most concede they have evolved apart with the American
> version being a different beast altogether and much bolder. Moose could
> inquire of his sons to see if they agree.

Neither is interested.

> Moose did sample the architypical top of the chart English Brown at my
> place last year I believe--Sam Smith.
> Some write comments such as the "best brew in the universe" or "would
> sell my soul for this brew"

Just web bloviating. Fine beer, but the world is chock full of them. Now, more
than ever, I know that.

> but I just don't like it as much as several American Brown ales---just not
> that
> fond of the diacetyl/ overly sweet finish.

They use extinct animals in the brewing? (Really, have you seen what they are
putting 'beer' these days?
> Actually, now that I've spent months around my beer nut son, I seem to be
> moving away from browns, anyway.
>
> Say what??? One of the official list judges moving away from one of the
> all time  very best brew varieties??? I am shocked/ appalled--my ox has
> been gored. Recall the list  American Brown Ale judge at work:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/cyb2vzo

A distinguished looking judge, if a little biased in appearance. But you know,
stuff happens, the only constant is
change ... platitude ... platitude.

> My dismay is ameliorated in part by the memory of the DFH (dogfish
> head) 60min IPA he brought.  He worried that he might be bringing coals
> to Newcastle but he really brought a diamond.  I don't try too many new
> IPA's (though Marnie likes them)  but this was special.  In your face
> citrusy hops, but very  nice indeed.
> I'll look for that again.

Yeah, that is nice. I've moved back part way to IPAs. As with brown ales,
American brewers have made some real progress
there.

The thing you have to look out for these days is outrageous blather on the
label that has no relationship to the beer
inside. I've had a couple of tastes of Raging Bitch IPA. Read the label blurb,
which they wisely don't reproduce on
their site, and you expect the be knocked around.

But other than the high alcohol content, it's pretty ordinary. Many little
breweries are going out of their way to sell
beer with unusual/outrageous labels, bottles and label copy.

>> Matilda, a Belgian style ale out of
>> Chicago, that gets great reviews and has won many medals.
> Ahh many good reviews indeed.  ...
> Matilda is an elegant lady, but I will not be waltzing her anytime soon.

Nor will I.

Beery Moose