Re: [OM] Fwd: IMGs: Tuesday Flowers

Subject: Re: [OM] Fwd: IMGs: Tuesday Flowers
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 07:08:44 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

> > Moose had an image of his set-up on his site but the Great Antlered One
> > must have moved it.
>
> I have on occasion moved things. And there are things on my server that
> I've forgotten about, some of which I would be embarrassed by, so some
> day I'll probably have a spring cleaning. For all I know, Walt's pics
> of his macro set-up may be in there somewhere, but I don't know where.
>
> In the meantime, here they are again.
><http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Tech/Misc&image=Cullman02.jpeg>
>
> And
> <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Tech/Misc&image=Cullman03.jpeg>

     While I'm thiking of how  to make something similar, here's some photos of
what I did yesterday.  A few years ago I made my own ground spike from a
10-inch long 3/8"-16 bolt, grinding the head off the bolt and then making a
mounting plate from some 1/4" thick aluminum plate:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8229966546/in/photostream/

It works fine with a Manfrotto 234RC head provided that the soil will support
it upright.

     Yesterday I turned some 1" diameter aluminum bar down to fit into the
Manfrotto 3001 tripod, then bored it out to tap a 3/8-16 thread on one end and
a 1/2" hole for most of the length to make it lighter:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8229967094/in/photostream/

This takes the place of the nut on the ground spike:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8229967666/in/photostream/

     It works fine in the 3001 tripod, and it's much lighter.  The original
column with the 3130 head weighed in at 52oz, and this short column/spike with
the 234RC head weighs just 14oz.

     Now that I've seen this Cullman arm, I'm going to dig out those nature
photography books, buy some square aluminum tubing, and just stare at it all
until something comes to mind.

Chris