Re: [OM] OT: Air-source Heat Pump?

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Air-source Heat Pump?
From: "Bill Pearce" <billcpearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 12:06:37 -0600
I am living with one now. I think you will see significantly higher bills
with a heat pump, unless it is the ground source variety. Those are able to
overcome the problems of the air source in extreme cold conditions. With air
temps of under about 32 degrees F, the unit switches to a backup heater as
there's no more heat in the air, and the backup is usually a resistance
heater, and your electric meter will fling the little disc into orbit.
Sometimes an old gas or oil forced air furnace can be adapted to use as a
backup.

If you live where there are not huge temperature swings, like where I live,
it would be good, but again ground source would be better.

Bill Pearce