[OM] E-M5 Questions

Subject: [OM] E-M5 Questions
From: "Johnie Stafford" <jms@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 00:20:03 -0600
(Apologies if this comes through twice, I sent this first from the wrong
email address)

OK. Seems like everybody is asking their OM-D E-M5 (could they come up with
a more convoluted name?) questions. So I guess I should take my turn now.

First off, I want to say thanks to everyone for the great information that
y'all have provided already. I love this list!

My first OM was a silver OM-2n that I bought sometime around 1982. It
developed that lovely mirror lock-up problem that has been discussed here
recently. I got on a first name basis with Ron Modjeski as we sent my camera
back and forth for several years. I finally replaced it with a OM-2n Black
that I still have. I followed that up with an OM-4T that became my workhorse
for years. When my day job finally afforded me the chance to augment my
equipment, I got some really nice glass and found a good deal on an OM-3Ti.
Then I got married and the budget for film processing went to the bottom of
the budget. So my film cameras have been on the shelf for a while.

The only nod toward digital I've made other than camera phones, has been a
C-8080 that I bought as a hopeful compromise with my wife for a camera that
she would use. Stupid move. She still thought it was too complicated and it
was like going from my OMs to an instamatic.

I considered the E-1, but between the cost and the negatives I read about
it, I held off. I considered a switch to Canon or Nikon, but indecision and
cost kept me out of either of those camps.

But now this E-M5 comes along and I like what I'm seeing so far. But I still
have a few questions that I haven't seen answered so far and I haven't found
a place yet to put my hands on one (in the DFW area).

The AF is my biggest concern. While I've never really had a chance to use a
"real" digital camera, all of the P&S digitals and the C-8080 really suck
when it comes to AF. They are slow, they hunt all over the place and love to
focus on blank walls 10 feet behind anything I ever wanted to take a picture
of. Now I hear great things about the speed of this AF. My concern is how
well the AF works in low light. I've read elsewhere that it hunts around
really badly, takes forever to lock in and isn't as accurate in low light
situations. With the high ISO available and the relatively slow zooms that
are available, it seems like a low light situation would be quite common.

I keep hearing that it's a great camera, as long as you don't want to shoot
sports with it. Although I haven't been paid to shoot sports since I was in
college, I hate the thought of writing off the whole genre when spending
that much on a camera.

Is the MF-2 worth the cost? I've got some nice OM Zuiko and Tamron lenses.
My plan is to sell my OM bodies and accessories to try to finance the
purchase. But I'm not sure if I should sell my lenses and get some of the
new primes or get the adapter and keep what I have.

I've got an F-280 flash. Would it incorporate well with the E-M5 or should I
put it in the pile of things to sell off?

BTW, what are the rules about selling on the list?